Friday, April 18

April A1c

Doctors are interested in the Hemoglobin A1c levels of their diabetic patients. Simply put, this measures glucose stuck to the blood cells. Because blood cells have a life span of about 3 months, this measurement gives a pretty good idea of how well-controlled a person's blood sugar has been over the past several weeks.

The normal range for a non-diabetic would be ~5%. The ADA recommends a level at or below 7% for diabetics, which is generous, IMO.

When I was diagnosed in September, my A1c was 10.5%. After three difficult and depressing months on medication, it had dropped to 8.2%. At that time, we were still deciding which meds I needed. There was a long period of adjustment, and I just recently reached the right doses (for now).

This week, I got the results of my latest A1c test. 6.7% !!

I'm excited about this for a few reasons. First of all, it's a huge improvement since diagnosis. Second, it's far closer to my personal goal, which, at this time, is 6% or less. Third, I know I still have a lot of potential for improvement. Up to this point, I've focused on changing eating habits. I've been waiting for nice weather before really focusing on developing an exercise habit, and the time has come to start walking regularly. Also, now that my meds are at the right level, it's easier to maintain reasonable blood sugar levels.

I must give due credit to Diabetes Daily, where I've received an enormous amount of information and encouragement. I think it might well be the most supportive message board I've ever been a part of, which is really saying something, as I've been on some great boards.

Diabetes affects nearly every part of my life. I'm grateful to have learned early on how to handle that positively. I realize things will not always go as well or as smoothly as they are right now. I plan to make the most of this time when I can easily make changes to improve my health and maintain my hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment