Tuesday, November 11

Bet you can't smile

When I was a girl, I was known for being quite the grump. I often heard that if I continued to frown, my face would freeze that way. When my parents had finally had enough of my frowning, they'd say, "Bet you can't smile." That always worked... for about three seconds.
Oh sure, I had plenty to be miserable about. My parents favored my perfect little brother. I was only the second smartest kid in my class. I had allergies, chronic bad hair, and I was short and skinny (I know, go figure!).

When told that it takes more muscles to frown than to smile, I was quick to point out that it's less important how many muscles are used than how strong those muscles are. And my smiling muscles weren't interested in a workout.
When I got a job in a fast food restaurant, the stakes were higher. I had several write-ups in my file for not being pleasant to the customers. I could be polite, but smile at them? Just because they were there? Nope. Couldn't do it. Wouldn't do it. Especially in the mornings.

And then, one day when I was 19 years old, I changed. I began to smile. Willingly. I couldn't help myself. Check in tomorrow and find out why.

And Justin, you have to actually go to the blog this time.

8 comments:

  1. I have a picture of you smiling from the last time we saw you guys before you moved.

    *sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, (((Heidi))).

    I can't wait to hear about the day Loren walked into your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, (((Heid))).

    I can't wait to hear about when Loren walked in the door. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi! How are you??
    I bet I know what made you started to smile...
    I think.

    -Blake H.
    P.S.-- Tell the family I said hi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess it wasn't Loren (no offense L), but your Heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun post! I love your baby cheeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why oh whyyy did she smile? :)

    ReplyDelete