Monday, August 4

For the Love of Summer

This morning we enjoyed smoothies made with plain yogurt and a jar of rhubarb I processed a few days ago. It was amazingly wonderful. After our weekly home blessing, I encouraged Loren to take the kids swimming. After they left, I wandered around outside. The tansy smells like honey today, and the bees are loving it. The meat chicks are growing like meat chicks, unaware of the fate that awaits them next month. The broody hen is sitting on about a dozen eggs which should be ready to hatch in a few days, if I remember correctly. Another of the laying hens and I discussed the importance of eggs. We were in complete agreement on the subject. I sampled the raspberries on my way to the garden. Yum! We may have enough ripe ones for picking by the end of the week. I offered additional guidance and encouragement to the tomato plants, which are preparing to take over the north end of the garden. The two measly peppers growing from my six measly pepper plants won't put up much of a fight, I'm afraid. The nasturtiums, on the other hand, are prepared to join the takeover. It seems the cauliflower is just being silly. I'm almost ready to show it who's boss and replant that entire plot in a fall crop of I-don't-care-what. The spaghetti squash is quietly working its magic in with the sweet corn. The cucumbers are trying to do the same, but I snatched up the entire harvest and gobbled it up -- two delightful little cukes.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, how incredibly beautiful your garden is! Curious thing, that cauliflower, though...
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Heidi. I agree with your mom that your garden is lovely. I was surprised to hear that you and Loren were not aware of Cara's graduation on Aug. 15th. I guess Joyce doesn't tell you any more than she tells me. Sometimes getting information from her can be like pulling teeth :). Tami, Leonard and the boys will be there and hopefully I will be in Maine by the 10th. Tami and family will be staying at a timeshare in South Berwick and I'll be spreading myself out amongst family and friends so that nobody gets sick of having me ! ! I talked to Cara last night and she had just finished her last day at the Farmington Hospital where she has been doing her clinical work. We are very proud of her ! !

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Keep your blogs coming....I really enjoy reading them and seeing the photos. Hugs to all of you....Aunt Marion

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pictures! The garden and the garden guards! Beautiful!

    Blessings!
    Lacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmmm, I loved walking through your garden with you. :) I've had a few things do like your cauliflower did and they are now in the compost pile. lol Funny how some things do awesome one year or even in just a different spot in your garden, and another flops or does nothing, nada, nix.

    Loooooove your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your garden looks great :) Love the canned rhubarb, how did you can it? With a sugar syrup?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I stewed it with 1/2c sugar per quart of rhubarb. In the future I might use a little less sugar, but that was the recipe I found.

    ReplyDelete