Friday, August 17

Taste a little of the summer

We never did pick more blueberries to add to the juneberries, so I went ahead and made jam with what I had. I didn't use a recipe; I totally wung it. If I had it to do over, I'd add more pectin, I think. It seems to be a soft set so far, but it may thicken up more as it sits on the shelf waiting for winter.Some of us went to the fair yesterday. Unfortunately, fair season is around a very emotional anniversary in our family. For a few weeks before and after that anniversary, we have to be very careful of how we carry out planned activities, as potential for meltdowns lurks around every corner. I praise God for the flexibility we do have, and for wonderfully responsible and understanding older children.


The fair we attended was wonderful! It wasn't too loud or too crowded. People were dressed modestly. The 4-H exhibits were in a building of their own, larger than the entire exhibit area we were used to in Kentucky. There was so much to see and do, we could've spent an entire day and not been bored. Tired, yes, but not bored. We watched the 4-H goat show, wandered through several of the barns, watched a magic show, and checked out all the exhibits except the flowers.

duct tape wedding dress

antique fair ribbons

Toby tossed hay bales and sang karaoke. We enjoyed funnel cakes, gyros, egg rolls, lemonade, and hot dogs. We never did make it to the flower building, the old general store and farm buildings, or the train engine, and we skipped the midway entirely.

It was a beautiful day, as well. The sun was shining, a breeze was blowing, and it was about 72 degrees.

Loren is taking Lynae to the fair tonight, and I'm a little jealous! I'm sure they'll have a great time.

2 comments:

  1. 72?! I know you're glad to be there. It was like 106 yesterday!! And close to it today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A daddy-daughter date! Bless his heart! He is being a good steward of her little heart which will be a great blessing to her future husband, I'm sure.

    JulieBaby

    ReplyDelete