Thursday, October 30

Poetry

I have always enjoyed poetry, and can thank my dad for introducing me to it; for it was he that would always read it to us whenever we had a power outage(a family tradition that lives to this day). As I have grown older, I too have started reading on those bleak occasions, and decidedly enjoy the poems of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and his book of selected poems is very special to me.

My favorite poems by him are as follows:

  • Paul Revere's Ride
  • Catawba Wine
  • It is not always May
  • Excelsior
  • Christmas Bells
  • The Rainy Day
I will now leave you with an excerpt from 'It is not always May'.
Maiden, that read'st this simple rhyme,
Enjoy thy youth, it will not stay;
Enjoy the fragrance of thy prime,
For oh, it is not always May!

Enjoy the Spring of Love and Youth,
To some good angel leave the rest;
For time will teach thee soon the truth,
There are no birds in last year's nest!



2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful poem! Enjoy May, Lynae.
    Love,
    October
    (Nana)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Excelsior" is my favorite!
    The shades of night were falling fast
    as through an alpine village passed a youth, who bore, mid snow and ice, a banner with the strange device,


    Excelsior!

    ReplyDelete