Monday, September 3

Edna St. Vincent Millay - Portrait By A Neighbour

Before she has her floor swept
Or her dishes done,
Any day you'll find her
A-sunning in the sun!

It's long after midnight
Her key's in the lock,
And you never see her chimney smoke
Til past ten o'clock!

She digs in her garden
With a shovel and a spoon,
She weeds her lazy lettuce
By the light of the moon,

She walks up the walk
Like a woman in a dream,
She forgets she borrowed butter
And pays you back in cream!

Her lawn looks like a meadow,
And if she mows the place
She leaves the clover standing
And the Queen Anne's lace!

How did she know?

1 comment:

  1. RYC: GRRRRR! You agree with Painterman? I am so disappointed, my dear Heidi. I thought you would understand me little whine. But, it's all good. I repent. If we can come up with some moolah this weekend (please, God, let him get paid SOON!) I will probably buy TWO 5/8 bushel baskets of tomatoes and put them up. Two times five-eights, that's ten eighths! Or, one and two eights! Or, one and one-fourth bushel(s) of tomatoes, yielding (approximately) 24 quarts. That would bring my 'mater count up to, what? Fifty-eight quarts? Would that be good enough for you and Mr. I-Need-More-Tomatoes?

    I do love this stuff, and I must say I am very impressed with all your various housewifely accomplishments, m'dear.

    JulieBaby

    ReplyDelete