Friday, May 23

Gardening time, finally!

Friday was spent in the garden. I'm amazed at how much the children accomplished! Together, we weeded 5 beds, tilled 8 beds(some of which were new and didn't need weeding), added 15 bags of composted manure, and planted:

  • strawberries
  • lettuce
  • sunflowers
  • summer squash
  • two kinds of sweet corn
  • butternut squash
  • spaghetti squash
  • potatoes
  • cauliflower
  • onions
  • tomatoes
  • bell peppers
  • hot peppers
I hope to pretty much finish putting the garden in tomorrow IF I can manage to get out of bed in the morning. The work I did today was minimal compared to all that the kids did, but it was enough to aggravate a knee injury.

I also made a chicken saddle. Mm-hmm... we had an overbred hen who had to be nursed back to health. She had a hole in her back the size of a quarter. It was even nastier than that, really. I guess it was over a week, maybe two, that we kept her cleaned up with an ace bandage wrapped around her and isolated her in a dog crate. Once she was definitely healing, we put her out in the chicken tractor. I really wanted her to go back with the other chickens, but didn't want her to be re-injured. This morning I took a bit of fleece and cut it to fit over her back and around her wings. Now she's protected from the roosters, and she won't even suffer further sunburn while her back feathers regrow.

If I ever remember where I got the idea to make a chicken saddle as simply as I did, I'll put up a link. I may be able to get a picture of it tomorrow, too.

1 comment:

  1. You are awesome! I would love to see your garden. Stroll through it with you, while you told me about all of it. Every nitty gritty detail. lol

    This year is the first year that I might, just a little bit, be able to compare anywhere near to the size of yours. But I'm getting there. We have done an herb bed!! I love it. We've planted a gazillion things even since I blogged all about my garden. lol I'm getting ready to do green beans and carrots. Oh and two more rose bushes.

    Hugs to you today as we garden together. Well, with a few states in between. Wahhh! Have a wonderful rest of your weekend! ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete