Thursday, September 18

More exhausted ramblings

Butchered the chickens today. Totally worn out, but glad to have them in the freezer.

The freezer, by the way, has a new outlet in the basement. The electricians came by yesterday and fixed us all up. I'll be calling them again sometime, I think. Just a hunch.

Torina has been writing about FASD. It looks like that's what we're up against... definitely with Jon, probably with Mike as well. Looks like what I need to do is figure out how to accept that what I've seen as "won't" is probably "can't". That just seems so... hopeless. I don't know what to do with that. What do you do with a child who can't learn math, can't show remorse, can't keep his pants dry, can't learn cause and effect, can't follow a simple routine after weeks or months or years of repetition? How do you prepare such a child for independence as an adult? Or how do you come to terms with the fact that there will be no independent adulthood, only the continued destruction and forgetting and apathy?

Enough about that for now.

Soon we will be cooking applesauce and apple butter nearly every night. That will smell wonderful.

Sometime between recovering from butchering and starting the apple marathon, I still have two batches of soap to make. That will be a fun diversion.

We officially start school on Monday. I've got lesson plans for all five kiddos for the next two weeks. I'm looking forward to some new stuff we have lined up for this year. Maybe I'll remember to share about that sometime soon.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you all have a lot of good stuff going on over there in the midst of realizing that you might be dealing with "can'ts" instead of "won'ts".

    I too wonder what FASD looks like for adults. I kind of think that although there will still be deficiencies, perhaps maturity (to whatever degree) will help take the edge off.

    But in the meantime applesauce and apple butter suuuuure does sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you had any of the children tested or evaluated for FASD? I believe that no matter what life gives us, Christ can raise us above it. PRAY, PRAY, PRAY

    ReplyDelete